Pages

Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Paleo Brownies

Chocolate Brownies - Paleo Style
 

One of the latest crazes in diets is Paleo... I'm sure I'll elaborate on this a lot more in future posts, I actually think its logically a GREAT way to eat! You not only lose weight, you help build muscle to be healthy and strong, there's an emphasis on fruit and veg perfect for the digestive and immune systems. One reason why I love it too, is the fact there is no wheat! I've had a tempestuous relationship with the grain for the past few years, when I completely avoid it I feel lighter, food seems to pass through smoothly and I feel happy because my stomach isn't making embarrassing gurgling noises and generally being a pain in the ass (Pun intended). When I decide to 'indulge' in it - usually in the form of cake, either confronted with one of two things being tiramisu or sticky date pudding - I  immediately get bloated, I once took a picture of myself post-wheat meal just so I could prove to people that this is no joke, out of sheer desperation at trying to get to the root of my digestive problems I once showed it to a Gastro-enterologist, who claimed 'I was just stressed' and had 'IBS', the solution to this was 'To not stress as much'. $600 later...
 
Anywhooo... sorry to stray off topic. It's not for everyone obviously, vegetarians take note, its just one way that agree's with some and I can see why. It does however completely cut out all forms of dairy - I guess the idea of eating this way came before cave man realized there were more to cows than rump steak. Which, therefore, saddens me exponentially, I'll let you in on a secret - Naturopath's aren't perfect, especially this one, I find it difficult to drink water and I LOVE MILK! COWS MILK! YES I SAID IT, oh the shame. I ought to be forgiven I think, I dream of latte's and cappucino's, and when kids order milkshakes I rue the fact I didn't order enough when I was younger.  As if, as if there's some kind of milkshake quota!!!
 
OK, so these are paleo brownies. Meaning, they have no wheat and no dairy, no refined sugar. I hear you say... and no taste. That's where you ARE WRONG. Yum, yum, yum. What I will say, is they haven't the texture of a regular run-of-the-mill cakey browny, its more like a dense cakey fudge, if you call that bad you obviously just want to keep eating refined sugary baked goods laden with everything bad for you on this earth and lets be honest, there's nothing I can do or say that will change that. If you want a chocolate sweet fix to satisfy your body and soul, this is the answer.
 
By the way, the frosting is possibly the most DELICIOUS part, I guess because I'm used to it avocado does not at all seem a strange ingredient to use. Just think of it as nature's butter, that's all, its creamy luscious blandness can be flavoured with anything. I know you are just put off cos its green, you will soon forget that when dousing it up with lots of cocoa. Give it a try, you'll be surprised, more than surprised, you'll be CRAZY bout it! 
 
 
 
CHOCOLATE PALEO SLICE
·        1/4 cup melted coconut oil – cold pressed EV
·        3 eggs
·        1 tablespoon raw honey
·        4 tablespoons coconut flour
·        1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
·        1 large sweet potato
 
·        3 Tablespoons cocoa powder - sifted
What to do.
·        Peel and dice the sweet potato, toss in coconut oil
·        Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until soft.
·        Meanwhile, mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
·        When the sweet potato is ready, blend or mash up. Add to the wet ingredients, then mix the dry ingredients in. Make sure it’s mixed really well.
·        Spread into a low cake tin/baking tray (using baking paper so it doesn’t stick). Bake at 180 for 30 minutes.
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO FROSTING
1 avocado
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa (sifted)
2 heaped tablespoons of honey, agave, maple syrup (whichever natural sweetner you prefer)
If you have it... 1 heaped tablespoon of Chocolate coconut butter (Living Earth brand - oh my gosh amazing), alternatively, a tablespoon of Coconut oil. If just using the coconut oil, its lovely to melt down a bit of dark chocolate till runny, just a couple of tablespoons worth - its not essential but just makes it EVEN better.
1 tsp grated orange zest
- Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor or blitz them with a stick blender until smooth. Taste it now to see if you would like to 'season' it any more if its not up to your desired sweetness, add a tiny pinch of salt as well.
Smooth on to brownie once cooled. Best eaten at room temperature, but store in the fridge if you want to keep it longer than three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment